For those of you who don’t know… I took a week-long trip to LA.
It all started when I got an executive callback for the NBC show, The Voice, back in August.
I got a callback from The Voice.
I flew out to LA last Sunday, determined to show NBC that I was the best damn singer/performer that they’d ever seen!
Well. They cut me.
I was shocked, especially since I gave my best audition to date, but that’s show business people!
The real story of this blog post starts when I asked miss Christina Brehm to pick me up from the hotel after I got cut.
The producers (who were incredibly nice and AWESOME) were nice enough to delay my flight so that I could spend the rest of the week with my best friend on the West Coast.
And then began one of the CRAZIEST, most memorable, half weeks of my life!
Let’s just say it was so nuts that I feel like it’s best left as a big secret to live on in infamy in my own brain.
But for those of you who want hints as to what this infamy entailed….
Here is “Shannon Allen’s guide to NYC vs. LA”
We’ll start off easy.
1. In LA, you drive. In NYC, you walk, take the subway… or if you have expendable cash… take a cab.
2. In LA, we have beaches. In NYC, you have Central Park.
3. In LA, you speak in highways and exits (Get off the 101 and take Mullholand, to blah blah blah blah.. (I have no clue). In NYC you speak in cross streets (drop me off at 59th and Broadway)
4. In LA, everyone smokes weed. In NYC… everyone smokes weed.
5. In LA, everyone is a bartender/actress/model/musician. In NYC, everyone is a bartender/broadway hopeful/artist/musician.
6. In LA, you have big, high gates. in NYC, you have doormen.
7. In LA, you have traffic. In NYC, you have train delays
These are some of the more obvious differences.
Now here is “Shannon Allen’s PERSONAL guide to NYC vs. LA”
1. In NYC, all my friends are gay. In LA, all my friends are lesbians. (Hey… I’m just a Queen Queen, what can I say??)
2. In NYC, I’m the “cool” girl FRIEND who watches football with the guys, talk politics, and music. In LA, I’m the cute, mysterious girl from New York who works in the music industry.
3. In NYC, I buy my own drinks or go to the gay bars when they have open bar. In LA, boys (and girls) buy me drinks… LOTS of drinks…
4. In NYC, I have yet to have my first New York date. In LA, I met a boy who wants to take me on a date when he comes to visit.
5. In NYC, I have yet to have my first New York kiss. In LA, I had…. a few kisses…
6. In NYC, everyone likes that I can identify my surroundings by cross streets (or else it’s a pain in the ASS to meet up with friends.) In LA, everyone rolls their eyes when I talk about that place on 101 and Broadway that has the BEST BRUNCH in town.
7. In NYC, I drink whiskey, beer, and wine, then go out at 4 a.m. for a fresh slice of New York style pizza. In LA, I drink cocktails… and whiskey, beer and wine… and get sick.
8. In NYC, I live in the “poor” part of town. In LA, no one fucking knows me. Hell! I live in Beverly Hills if that’s what you wanna hear! 🙂
9. In NYC, I take a walk in Central Park, and see a bum shitting on a tree. In LA, I walk a canyon and am almost on the show where Betty White has old people prank young people. Fucking NUTS!
And finally… my favorite comparison (although there can never be a comparison between these two entities) between NYC and LA…
10. In NYC, my #1 bitty/partner-in-crime/singing buddy on the subway/beer drinking bimbo/fruit fly dancing/shake our asses in the street and not give a shit/wing-woman is Miss Jennifer Chianesi AKA Lady Nesi. In LA, my #1 bestie/beautiful blonde babe/make me feel okay when I embarrass myself/watch ridiculous chick flicks/stand up for what we believe in till we die/dancing divas/walking around the city telling people who don’t like us to “FUCK OFF”/cry on each other’s shoulders/hold each others’ hair back/wing-woman is Miss Christina Brehm AKA Brehmy.
I wish I could carry them both in my pockets, along with all my other best friends from around the country.
And SPEAKING of best friends… don’t think that the rest of you aren’t loved!!! You know at my wedding I’m going to have just as many bridesmaids as bridesmen. Hay Hay!
Love the bi-coastal, big booty, babe who can pick up guys around the world, Lady Business chick,
Shannon Fucking Allen.